Books by Alexandra Heminsley
- Running Like a Girl, published 16 Jan 2014 in paperback
- Leap In: A Woman, Some Waves and the Will to Swim, published 12 Jan 2017 in hardcover
- Ex and the City: You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Dumps You, published 26 Mar 2015 in paperback
- Left out of the Queen: defeat left out of the healing rule (Chinese Edition), published 1 Jan 2000 in paperback
- 'Remarkable' Observer
- 'A joy to read' Daily Telegraph
- 'Soaringly beautiful' Sunday Times Magazine
- 'Genuine and persuasive' Guardian
LEAP IN Summary
Alexandra Heminsley thought she could swim. She really did. It may have been because she could run. It may have been because she wanted to swim; or perhaps because she only ever did ten minutes of breaststroke at a time. But, as she learned one day while flailing around in the sea, she really couldn’t.
Believing that a life lived fully isn’t one with the most money earned, the most stuff bought or the most races won, but one with the most experiences, experienced the most fully, she decided to conquer her fear of the water.
From the ignominy of getting into a wetsuit to the triumph of swimming from Kefalonia to Ithaca, in becoming a swimmer, Alexandra learns to appreciate her body and still her mind. As it turns out, the water is never as frightening once you're in, and really, everything is better when you remember to exhale.