Alcatraz Island swims
Prison Island Swims (or the Triple Break or Triple Crown of Prison Island Swims that were nominated for the 2016 WOWSA Awards, a recognition of outstanding men, women, performances and offerings around the globe sponsored by the World Open Water Swimming Association in the category of World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year]]Prison Island Swims escapee]]
Alcatraz Island swims are bay swims to, from and around Alcatraz Island that are popular solo and competitive open water swims. A swim between Alcatraz Island and Aquatic Park is one of the swims of the Triple Break or Triple Crown of Prison Island Swims together with Robben Island in South Africa and Spike Island in Ireland. Swims are annually named as one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims by the World Open Water Swimming Association.
Example of Alcatraz Island Swim
• Location: San Francisco Bay, California, U.S.A.
• Course: From Aquatic Park near Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco to Alcatraz Island and back
• Distance: 3.25 miles (5.2 km)
• Date of Annual Race: July
• Description: Swim Around the Rock requires extensive open water experience due to the cold water (under 60°F or 15.5°C), changing tides and fast currents, but spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf and the San Francisco downtown skyline will delight the swimmers throughout the event.
10 Escapes Video