Open Water Swimming Highlights
- She achieved the Australian Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming during one two-week visit Down Under She was the first American to complete the ATC:
- On 26-29 April 2023, she will serve as the escort kayaker for Steve Sutton in the SCAR Swim Challenge, a 4-day stage swim in Arizona at the age of 56.
- On 12 July 2014, she finished third in the women's division at the 2014 WOWSA 10-Mile World Swimming Championships in Lake Memphremagog.
- She completed the 45.9 km circumnavigation swim around Manhattan Island in New York in 2014.
- On 13 June 2015, she completed the 15.6-mile (25.4 km) Stage 6 of the 2015 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York.
- On 10 October 2015, she completed the 15 km Clean Half Marathon Swim in Hong Kong in 5 hours 41 minutes 6 seconds.
- On 2 July 2016, she completed the 15.6-mile (25.4 km) Stage 6 of the 2016 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York.
- On 30 July 2016, she completed the 25 km Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog in Vermont-Quebec in 9 hours 24 minutes 2 seconds.
- She was the female champion of the 2017 S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona. She finished 2nd overall in 19 hours 14 minutes 48.6 seconds, completing swims at Saguaro Lake in 4 hours 50 minutes; Canyon Lake in 4 hours 42 minutes; Apache Lake in 8 hours 46 minutes; and Roosevelt Lake in 3 hours 4 minutes.
- She is the 11th person to complete all 7 stages of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York.
- On 15 June 2017, she completed the 29.5 km Stage 1 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 5 hours 26 minutes 44 seconds.
- On 16 June 2017, she completed the 41.9 km Stage 2 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 6 hours 24 minutes 52 seconds.
- On 17 June 2017, she completed the 21.2 km Stage 3 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 4 hours 19 minutes 59 seconds.
- On 18 June 2017, she completed the 24.1 km Stage 4 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 5 hours 46 minutes 29 seconds.
- On 20 June 2017, she completed the 41.9 km Stage 5 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 6 hours 45 minutes 40 seconds.
- On 21 June 2017, she completed the 25.4 km Stage 6 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 4 hours 46 minutes 45 seconds.
- On 22 June 2017, she completed the 29.9 km Stage 7 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in 5 hours 46 minutes 49 seconds.
- On 29 July 2017, she completed the 25 km Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog in Vermont-Quebec in 7 hours 29 minutes 44 seconds.
- On 19 August 2017, she won the 26.4 km (16-mile) Rose Pitonof Swim in New York in 4 hours 42 minutes.
- On 26 August 2017, she was the second female finisher the Lake George 10K in New York in 3 hours 4 minutes 49 seconds.
- On 1 September 2017, she completed the 12.9 km Bender Memorial Marathon Swim in Pennsylvania in 4 hours 1 minute 12 seconds.
- On 24 September 2017, she completed the 40 km Three Rivers Marathon Swim in the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela Rivers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 9 hours 6 minutes 44 seconds, as the first female and 4th overall finisher.
- On 1 October 2017, she completed the 19.4 km Swim Around Charleston in South Carolina in 5 hours 22 minutes 48 seconds.
- She received the Barra Award for Most Prolific Overall Year by the Marathon Swimmers Federation in 2017.
- On 14 April 2018, she completed the 11.2 km Swim Around Lido Key in Florida in 4 hours 19 minutes 19 seconds.
- On 24 June 2018, she completed the 41.9 km Stage 5 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York in 9 hours 10 minutes 15 seconds.
- On 2 July 2018, she completed a 19.6 km crossing of the Santa Barbara Channel from the California mainland to Anacapa Island in 5 hours 40 minutes 49 seconds, setting a record ratified by the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association.
- She won the second annual 40 Bridges - Double Manhattan Island Swim of 56 miles (91.6 km) in 20 hours 22 minutes 46 seconds (8 hours 56 minutes 44 seconds on the first circumnavigation + 11 hours 46 minutes 28 seconds on the second circumnavigation) on 20-21 July 2018.
- On 18 August 2018, she completed a 34.2 km crossing of Lake Tahoe from Camp Richardson to Incline Village in 12 hours 20 minutes 28 seconds.
- On 12 September 2018, she finished 2nd in the 40.2 km In Search of Memphre across Lake Memphremagog from Newport, Vermont, USA to Magog, Quebec, Canada in 13 hours 40 minutes.
- She appeared in the month of June in the 2019 Marathon Swimmers Federation photo calendar.
- She was named one of the World's 50 Most Adventurous Open Water Women in 2019 by the World Open Water Swimming Association.
- She had the 11th fastest cumulative time of 17:01:10 in the 2019 SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona, completing swims at Saguaro Lake in 3:40:36; Canyon Lake in 3:20:47; Apache Lake in 6:22:49; and Roosevelt Lake in 3:36:58.
- She is the 236th person to complete the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming:
- On 26 June 2020, she completed an 18.3-mile tandem swim of Stage 1 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim from the Rip Van Winkle Bridge to the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge in 5 hours 37 minutes 16 seconds.
- On 14 January 2021, she completed a single circumnavigation swim Around Coronado in 4 hours 31 min 15 seconds.
- On 6 August 2021, she completed a 32.3 km crossing of the Catalina Channel from the Southern California mainland to Santa Catalina Island in 14 hours 41 minutes 36 seconds on a two-way crossing attempt. She was pulled after 27 hours in the water, 5 miles from her intended finish due to a rare southward current.
- On 6 October 2021, she completed a tandem Ederle-Burke Swim that set a new New York Open Water course record of 4 hours 59 minutes.
- 2021 was twice as fun, as she also pioneered three first-recorded doubles of existing courses:
- On 11 July 2021, she completed a 30-mile double Stage 4 of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim course in the Hudson River, the first of the 8 Bridges courses to be swum as a double, in 11 hours 6 minutes.
- On 25 September 2021, she completed the first 13-mile double Bridges to Bluffs course (B2B2B) on the Tennessee River in 8 hours 28 minutes. Following on her success, the B2B2B swim will now be offered as an annual event starting in 2022.
- On 1 December 2021, she completed the first 23-mile double circumnavigation swim of Coronado Island in San Diego, California in 10 hours 40 minutes.
- On 3 July 2022, she completed a 24-mile crossing of Lake Erie from Long Point, Ontario in Canada to Freeport Beach, PA in the United States in 15 hours 27 minutes. With this finish, she is the first person to complete the Pennsylvania Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming, which also includes the Three Rivers Marathon Swim in Pittsburgh and the Bender Memorial Marathon Swim in Norristown, PA.
Coaching Affiliations & Awards
- She is a certified Level 3 USMS coach and an American Red Cross lifeguard.
- She is the former Head Coach of Red Tide Masters in New York City and was a group swim instructor for CIBBOWS in Coney Island, New York.
- In 2021, she successfully coached 9 people to their first and/or longest marathon swims, and kayaked or crewed for swims at SCAR in Arizona, Kingdom Swim in Vermont, Lake Tahoe in California, Three Rivers Marathon Swim in Pennsylvania, and multiple swims Around Coronado in California.
- She coached at least one successful Manhattan Island circumnavigation swimmer each year from 2014-2020, including the fastest swimmers of 2019 (reverse) and 2020 (standard).
- She received the 2020 USMS Kerry O’Brien Coaches Award for her dedication to the sport.
2021 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nomination
Winner: Kate Steels (Great Britain)
First Runner-up: Elaine Burrows Dillane (Ireland)
Second Runner-up: Abhejali Bernardová (Czech Republic)
4. Mayra Santos (Brazil)
5. Merle Liivand (Estonia)
6. Shu Pu (Hong Kong)
7. Sarah Thomas (USA)
8. Amy Ennion (Great Britain)
9. Lexie Kelly (USA)
10. Maria Cotignolo (Uruguay)
11. Chloë McCardel (Australia)
12. Ana Marcela Cunha (Brazil)
13. Abigail Fairman (USA)
14. Kerry Kopke (South Africa)
15. Carina Bruwer (South Africa)